Creating user accounts on the web app
- In the HipChat web app, go to Group admin > Users.
- Mac desktop app users: You can also click New Chat, then Invite a Teammate.
- Enter a name, @mention name, and email address for the user.
- Select the user’s role, either User or Admin.
- Click Add User.
- HipChat sends an activation email to the email address you entered. The email has a link and instructions on how to set up an account.
Sending an invite URL from the web app
- In the HipChat web app, go to Group admin > Features (here).
- Under Invite URL, copy the URL.
- Send the URL to an email list or to the the individual users you want to invite.
- When the users click the URL, they are directed to set up their user information and passwords. They are automatically added to your HipChat group.
Note: You can disable the URL or generate a new one, as needed.
Using the API
If you want to automate user creation, check out our API.
Note: If the create_user call is made, then an activation email is NOT sent to the user. Many third-party SSO's use this option (such as OneLogin).